2 Days Nyiragongo Hike
2 days Nyiragongo Hike is carried out in one of the best National parks in DRC which is also known to be the oldest national park to be visited in Africa. Mount Nyiragongo is one of the most active volcanoes mountain situated in the northwestern park of DRC in the border with Rwanda. This Implies that mount Nyiragongo can be hiked even from the Rwandan side within volcanoes national park but the best way to hike it is by crossing over to DRC in Virunga national park one of the parks in Virunga massif. Taking this 2 days Nyiragongo hike, is one of the best and exciting experiences one would ever have in DRC due to the fact that it is very short and enjoyable adventure to really climb up to the top of the volcanic mountain and descend the following day. All you require for this 2 days Nyiragongo hike is get vaccinated in advance, book your hiking permit, pack your rain jacket, good hiking shoes, enough drinking water, snacks, , sunglasses, both light clothes and warm clothes, Hire a porter, and grab your hiking stick and leave the rest as it will flow naturally.
2days Nyiragongo hike includes 2 days and one Night at the summit of the mountain and it starts from either Gisenyi or Goma which are some of the close cities to Virunga national park.
Highlights of the 2 Days Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 1: Nyiragongo Hike (Ascend)
- Day 2: Nyiragongo Hike (descend) and departures
Day 1: Ascend Mount Nyiragongo
- Ascend Mount Nyiragongo: on day 1 of 2 days Nyiragongo Hike, you are required to wake up early in the morning at your lodge in Gisenyi or Goma where you will be picked by our company driver and start the journey to Virunga national park direct to the park headquarters for briefing before proceeding with the hike. Once the briefing is done, you will be transferred to Kibati where Nyiragongo hike start from. At Kibati, you will encounter with armed rangers and hike a porter to assist you in carrying the backpack. The hike starts at 10:00 am in the morning so endeavor to be at Kibati in time. During the hike you will look out for different mammals, birds, butterflies, etc. this hike to summit the top of mount Nyiragongo takes roughly 5-6hours depending on the level of fitness of hikers. As soon as you summit the top, you have a clear view of Virunga park at glace, the neighboring parks and other volcanoes nearby Nyiragongo. Have an overnight at the top for a beautiful view in the night where the lake glows and remember to capture those moments.
- Meal plan: Lunch and Dinner at the summit
- Accommodation: Tents at the summit
Day 2: Nyiragongo Hike (descend) and departures
- Descend Nyiragongo: on day 2 of 2 days Nyiragongo Hike, this the last day of your safari and you ought to wake up early in the morning at around 5:30 am, enjoy your breakfast at the summit, and be on standby to descent Nyiragongo at exactly 6:30 am. Ascending is the easiest and fascinating adventure filled with falling and sliding an it takes about 2-3 hours depending on the speed and once at the base of Nyiragongo, you will be driven back either to your lodge or to Kigali for a brief Kigali city tour where you will visit the markets and Kigali memorial sites, enjoy your enroute lunch and drive off to the airport for departures to the next destination.
- Meal plan: Breakfast at the summit and enroute lunch
END OF 2 Days Nyiragongo Hike
The 2days Nyiragongo hike includes;
- Park entrance fees
- All activities mentioned in Itinerary
- Hiking permit
- A 4×4 safari vehicle
- Airport drop off
- All meals as per itinerary
- Enough drinking water
- Accommodation as per Itinerary
- English speaking tour guide / driver
2 days Nyiragongo hike excludes;
- Travel expenses such as Visa and air ticket
- Domestic flights in case you opt for a flight
- All optional activities
- Other beverages and Alcoholic drinks
- Personal expenses such as Airtime and email services
- Life insurance while on safari
- Tips to the porter and guide
- Porter fee
A hike to summit mount Nyiragongo still remains one of the unbeaten and fascinating activities engaged in by several travelers from different corners of the world. However, this 2 days Nyiragongo Hike can easily be combine with a gorilla trekking safari in Virunga national park, and a Kigali city tour within the land of a thousand hills with in a period of just 4 days allowing you enjoy the mixture of primate safari and volcanic hike. Check out our 4 days Virunga and Nyiragongo hike including a Kigali city tour to have the best excursion in DRC and Rwanda.