Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno)
Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno) is a 4 days Congo luxury safari that includes 4 days and 3 nights allowing the luxury travelers to spend time with the mountain gorillas in Virunga national park, hike one of the best volcanic mountain in virunga massif (mount Nyiragongo) and also have a nature walk through various trails including the waterfall trail all within virunga national park the oldest park in Africa. Important to note is that this package is available for travelers who are able to depart from Goma on the specified days of the week and that is only Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Therefore travelers have be at Goma, a Rwanda –Congo border as early as possible so as to depart with the rest of the travelers.
Highlights of this Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno)
- Day 1: Arrival and Nature walks
- Day 2: Virunga Gorilla trekking
- Day 3: Ascend Mount Nyiragongo
- Day 4: Descend Mount Nyiragongo and depart
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival and Nature walks
- Arrival: On day 1 of 4 days Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno), you will be expected to arrive at the Congo – Rwanda border in Goma where you will check-in at the park headquarters of virunga national park for clearances to obtain your Congo Visa, gorilla trekking permit and Mount Nyiragongo hiking permit. Remember to arrive by 10:00 am such that you catch up with the convoy that will drive you to the lodge. Upon arrival, you will check-in at Mikeno lodge for late lunch and later on in the afternoon have a guided nature walk through the well-defined trails where you will encounter lots of wildlife species including birds, mammals among others. You will return to your lodge late in the evening for dinner and overnight.
- Accommodation: Mikeno Lodge (Luxury)
Day 2: Virunga Gorilla trekking
- Virunga Gorilla trekking: You will wake up on a served breakfast at the lodge on day 2 of 4 days Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno), have a packed lunchbox and drinking water then be transferred to Bukima which is the main trail head for gorilla trekking in Virunga national park. you will be briefed about the how gorilla trekking feels like, what you will expect to encounter in the wild, the dos and don’ts while in presence of gorillas and many more. You will then hire a porter to assist you in carrying the backpack, and even offer you a helping hand during difficult trails then be set to start the search of the habituated mountain gorillas in the wild. This trek will take you about 2-7 hours depending on how far the mountain gorilla have moved and your fitness level. Once you finally come closer to your allocated gorilla family, you and your group members will be allowed to stay in close vicinity for one hour and try to follow the rangers and the guide for your safety purposes. Once gorilla trekking is done, you will return to your starting point at Bukima where you will be picked and driven back to your lodge for even relaxation, as you await dinner and have an overnight.
- Meal plan: Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Accommodation: Mikeno lodge (Luxury)
Day 3: Hike Mount Nyiragongo
- Hike mount Nyiragongo (Ascend): On day 3 of 4 days Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno), you will enjoy a delicious breakfast at Mikeno Lodge, Pack a lunch box and drinking water then check out of the lodge with all your belongings and be driven to Kibati ranger post for a briefing before starting the expedition of climbing mount Nyiragongo. You will also be in a position to hire a porter who will be of help during the hike. At 10:00 am sharp, the hike will commence thus you need to be at the starting point abit early in order to be part of the briefing. Along the hike, you will encounter mammals such as elephants, primates such as gorillas, and many more but try not to give attention to those mammals encountered as they might not be habituated and very dangerous to human life. Always listen to the rangers and ask whenever possible in order to enjoy your safari. Have an enroute lunch that you carried from the lodge and then proceed to summit the top. While on top, you be offered a stunning view of the nearby volcanic mountains within Rwanda and nearby countries of Rwanda and Uganda. Overnight at the lava lake is such a fascinating experience that will last in your memory. Dinner and overnight will be at the summit and accommodation will be in a tent (personal or hired from the lodge) or else you will have to camp with some other hikers.
- Meal plan: breakfast at the lodge, enroute lunch and dinner at the summit
Day 4: Descend Mount Nyiragongo and depart
- Descend: Being the last day of your 4 days Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno), you will wake up at the summit, have breakfast, and prepare to leave the lava lake for Kibati again. Descending is at 6:30 am sharp and it lasts about 2-3 hours. Upon arrival to Kibati ranger post, you will be driven amidst tight security back to the Goma border where you were picked on the first day of the safari. You will then be met by your driver in Rwanda side to transfer you to the lodge for lunch before proceeding to the next destination which is either a lodge, an airport or another park to proceed with your other activities.
- Meal plan: breakfast at the summit, and enroute lunch
End Of 4 Days Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno)
Inclusive in this of 4 days Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno)
- Virunga gorilla trekking permit
- Mount Nyiragongo hiking permit
- Accommodation will be as per itinerary
- Meals as per itinerary
- Enough bottled drinking water
- Ground transportation while in the park in a 4×4 safari vehicle
- Ranger and convoy
Exclusive in this 4 days Le Petit Virunga Package (Mikeno)
- Life insurance
- Alcoholic drinks and other beverages